Do you know what this recipe it going to make?
How about now?
Isn’t it looking very familiar?
Did you read the title and now you’re just humoring me?
I don’t have anything against artificial colors or preservatives, and I definitely didn’t make this recipe because I wanted it to be healthier. I made it purely because I love Rice-A-Roni. If I eat Eggo waffles for dinner, I could eat Rice-A-Roni for breakfast… and dinner. Hmm. Eggo Waffles with a side of Rice-A-Roni. Eggo Waffle Sandwich stuffed with Rice-A-Roni *mmm**drool* Wonder what Shane would say if I served him that for dinner tonight haha.
So anyways, this recipe was just for my own curiosity.
Does it taste as good as the box? - Yeah.
Is it as easy as just ripping open the box? - Not even close, but I’m glad I did it anyways.
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 cup vermicelli, broken into very small pieces. (if you can’t find vermicelli, use angel hair pasta)
- 6 Tbsp chicken bullion powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- When you are ready to cook it, you’ll also need 2 Tbsp butter and 2 1/4 cups of water.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Voila. There’s your rice mix.
- To cook: Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in a skillet. Add 1 cup of the rice mix and stir to brown it a little. Add 2 1/4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- To make more servings, simply add more rice and adjust your water & cooking times accordingly.
- I ended up not adding all of the parsley, but close to it. And I’m not a huge fan of thyme, so next time I’m going to try leaving it out.