Did you know that I almost never win anything? It’s gotten to the point where I say, “Why bother” entering a contest when I know I won’t win… And truth be told, I forgot all about entering this one! So imagine my surprise when I won LOL Can’t wait to get that box in the mail with some signed cookbooks!
The picture that made it all happen:
A blast from the past – a recipe I did back in 2010 on my old site.
- 4 large apples (Gala or Granny Smith)
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- You can core the apples if you want to, but I just cut them in half close to the core.
- Arrange the apples, cut sides up, in a baking dish and brush the cut sides of the apples with 1 tsp of the lemon juice.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle the tops of the apples with the sugar mixture.
- Pour maple syrup in the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 10 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more until the apples are tender.
- Transfer apples to a serving platter and lay a piece of foil on top to keep them warm.
- Pour pan juices (the syrup left in the pan) into a small saucepan and stir in the remaining 1 tsp lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil and then cook for about 4-5 minutes until the sauce is thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve the apples with the sauce and top with walnuts.